Follow by Email

Monday, 14 January 2013

Song of the Week: 'Nightfall'



A few years ago I had this fanciful notion that I would write an album of songs for kd lang.  She was -and still is- one of my favourite singers. The album would have been called ‘Songs for Katherine’ and would have featured various vocalists, male and female, singing songs that –in my head at least- would fit comfortably within kd’s oeuvre.  Let’s be clear about this: I had absolutely no showbiz connection with her and realistically, next to no chance of getting a song into the hands of her representatives.  And, even if I did, she probably wouldn’t have liked the stuff anyway. Whatever. That didn’t stop me putting pen to paper at various points, with a view to writing that big country ‘crossover’ hit. This is one of the songs from that chimerical project, featuring Kelsey Hunter on vocals. It’s a simple arrangement, featuring just piano and acoustic guitar, with some tasteful strings on the chorus.  The song is written from the point of view of someone who is involved in an illicit relationship that, for obvious reasons, involves a lot of deception, sneaking around and -of course- hiding from daylight.   


Nightfall

No comments:

Post a Comment